Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fantastic experience

I have just returned from a fantastic trip where I attended the 2006 U.S. Senior Open Golf Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas. Now for all of you wonderful people who think Kansas is in the sticks, I would invite you to peruse the link to the Prairie Dunes Golf Course where it was held.

My attendance was necessary because I had volunteered, and was accepted on the first round, as a VIP driver. As such, I served on a team of 48 folks who transported the USGA officials, Professional Senior Players and their families, Media folks, plus some dignitaries and others who were very instrumental in putting on this exercise. We even had the opportunity to transport the pilot and staff of Snoopy “the gas bag” as they referred to it.

It all started when I received an email from McConnell AFB +inviting retirees to volunteer. I got that email on Saturday and on Sunday a friend, Bob Wilhite, from church mentioned it as we were having lunch. I came home, got on the internet, and after about a half hour of reading, submitted my application. I also submitted a short narrative as to why I would like to be a VIP driver. Actually I concluded that the fee included a full ticket to the tournament and it would be reasonable for all of the VIPs, whoever they might be, should already be in before the tournament started or remain until after it was over. Hence, I would have an opportunity to enjoy watching the entire event. Makes sense to me, don’t you agree?

Well, let’s just say this conclusion was quickly added to the long list of other wrongful conclusions I have made in my life. Don’t get me wrong, it was not as I expected for many good reasons, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. From the time I attended the training session several weeks prior to the main event, all the way to the conclusion, it was a magnificent and overwhelming experience, literally every facet of it.
Recognizing that God orchestrated the entire chain of events. I will try to share some details but please know that in each, it will only be the tip of the iceberg of what took place.

The same day I sent in my application, I concluded there may be a shortage of motel space resulting in my making a reservation in the State Fair Grounds for a place to park my camper. Reservation accepted. Two weeks later I was visiting with Gwen Laflin and telling her about my excitement, she said that I could stay with her brother, Gene Smith, with his permission of course, who is temporarily occupying their deceased mother’s home in Hutchinson. As it turned out, this house was air-conditioned and close to the course. A real blessing for sure, since motels had doubled their rates during this event. (They must not be covered by the ‘price gouging’ rules.) In addition, I sat in the front yard and watch the city fire-works display only 3 blocks away.

My first clue of how enormous this event was to be was at the training session for the volunteers. To list some trivia, there were nearly 1500 volunteers needed and ALL were filled. VIP transportation alone enlisted 280+, with many of us agreeing to work over if needed, and many of us did. Prior to the start of the event some 320 autos, vans, and SUVs were driven in from neighborhood dealers, rental agencies, and corporate interests. Many of the volunteers assisted driving these vehicles from their owner sites to the course parking areas for later use.

It is worthy of note that volunteers came from 43 of the 50 states and 11 foreign countries. One chap has volunteered for at least 3 events per year for 19 years. This seems to be a prestigious membership of little known fame. When I went to the training session I stopped by the course to see the layout. I had a hard time finding it as the grass and brush or thickets were 4 to 6 feet high and only a two-lane winding driveway into the course. Driving in I couldn’t even see part of one fairway for all the brush, how on earth are they going to accommodate some 140,000 attendance.

The volunteer package included ) 1 Two custom-designed embroidered Ashworth golf shirts, featuring the official Championship logo. 2) One Ashworth short sleeve wind shirt. 3) One cap or visor. 4) Volunteer appreciation party. 5) Coleman water bottle. 6) Volunteer credentials valid all week. 7) Meals provided during working shift. 8) Preferred free parking. And 9) 20% off Championship merchandise. The fee to volunteer was the same as that charged the public for admission into the event. We were only required to work 4 six-hour tours of duty. Little did I know that I would personally work 7 tours from 6 to 9 hours each. One can’t go home when there are golf’s greats to be met, signatures to be gotten, and a private chat for a few minutes. Time flew by since most of the drives from the course to the motels and back would generally take about 30 min and create a new experience along the way.
Every day I would write of the exciting events of my day, so for the remainder of this narration, I will share my edited notes.
Saturday morning I traveled to Hutchinson to claim the promise that I had a place to stay with Gene Smith. He is a construction superintendent for a company in Alaska. For the last two years he had been on a job in Russia. His hospitality was great, the room pleasant, comfortable, air conditioned with a ceiling fan. After I unpacked and got acquainted I drove to lot ‘C’ where volunteers were supposed to park. This lot was approximately 40 acres, native grass mowed to about 4”, complete with portable lights and relief stations. The attendant pointed me to the spot where I parked, placed my sun protection in the windows, and boarded the bus which transported people to the course. All volunteers were to use lot C until it was full. Two 20 passenger buses were available. Since I was the only passenger, the driver was a lady and very vocal about the tournament. She had been a driver for the Women’s Open in ’92 plus she was a fulltime bus driver at the school for 33 years. She was very informative about the residents, the surrounding roads that lead to the Club House at Prairie Dunes. Many of the houses in the area are 10-15 years old with an original value of $250 M >. Hard to tell what they are worth now. Each was landscaped for privacy. According to her most were doctors, layers, corporate folks, but only 3 veterinarians, that she knew of. I doubt any of my classmates are in that area. I had the opportunity to visit with several members there and found the initial fee at PDCC was $7500, plus 275.00 a month. This includes the entire family for golf, swimming, driving range, food of $175 included, locker for men & women, and some other amenities. I was told the fees used to be a lot higher but they decided that members were more important. Now, I am told, that since many clubs give reciprocity for membership, they have approximately 7000 members. As I was later informed, this course was selected by the USGA, at this tournament, the No. 1 course in the U.S. Green fees currently are $180.00 for non-members, however, following the latest accolades from the USGA, that may increase.
Preparation for this event commenced approximately 3 years ago. Probably the most important position in the task of preparation is the volunteer coordinator. As I perused the 25 categories of activity using volunteers, this person could be well paralleled to a 2-Star General in the Military. This position was filled by a lady named Laura Caleal. I had the opportunity to chat briefly with her concerning my assignment and she gave me the impression that she was well in control, the same as one gets from chatting with a seasoned veteran. I later learned the coordinator comes to the area some 3 years prior to the event and joins with the General Chairman and a very few other dignitaries to bring the event to fruition. It is my understanding the original individual that was assigned to be coordinator was not able to continue and resigned with about 6 months to go, for what ever reason. Ms. Caleal was summoned to complete the task. I do not believe I have had the opportunity to witness such capable accomplishment and confidence as she demonstrated. Everyone spoke of her as being a superb achiever. Each time I seen her nearby as we each went on our duties, she would call me and others by their first name, with a smile on her face, in an atmosphere of calm and tranquil.
My first official transport was to pick up Matt Schwenderman, a media official. His duties were to head up the IT department what would feed the networks with minute by minute data on each player as the tournament got underway. After he overwhelmed me with info concerning his duties along with the whys and hows that had to take place, he related that he had been working with a K-State graduate who promised that he would be in for an environmental and cultural shock when he got to Kansas. This lad was from the NE corner of New Jersey, near NYC, and had never been west of Chicago in his life. He was hungry for information concerning life in this area, farming, industry, and the local culture from many aspects. I obliged in giving him a 2 hour tour through the heart of the Flint Hills from Wichita to Hutchinson, sharing many facets of agriculture and local environment. He was astonished with learning about cattle, sheep, horses, and other animals, crops, haying activities, harvest machinery, irrigation, etc in the wide open spaces.
On my day off, I decided to take pictures, get autographs, and walk the course. This was not one of my better decisions except that I did take quite a few pictures, plus got to meet Gary Player, Tom Watson, Ben Krenshaw, Randy Reif, Ray Christenson, Dana Quigley, Jim Colbert, Alan Doyle, and several others. The temperature was 102 F, and my ability to walk the course was very short lived. The vertical variation eliminated me after the 4th hole. I was amazed at the stamina any competing player must have to do 18 holes 2 days of practice rounds and 4 days for the competition. These guys have to be in superb condition to finish the tournament.
I will not bore you with all of the official ‘trivia’ I collected during my travels taking these individuals from place to place. Lt it suffice to say that I recorded 9 pages of notes concerning little known activities the USGA puts into play when hosting a tournament, along with food and water service, sanitation activities, physical therapy, medical attention, gift sales, security, and much more. In the event anyone is the least bit interested, please let me know.
I consider it a blessing from the Lord to have been in attendance with such a privileged position as a driver of VIPs. Not only did I get to meet, quiz, and share with many dignitaries, but I had an opportunity to be an ambassador pro-tem for Kansas, K-State, and the Lord on a couple of occasions. Lastly, I regret to inform you that all this exposure to the heart of golf has not taken any strokes off my game at all. Oh well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home